Ask a Librarian

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

How do I add money to my printing account?

1540 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019    Printing

Each academic year, students are given a $15.00 print quota (September-August).   Once you've exhausted this quota, you will need to add funds to your Pioneer Express account in order to print.  If money is already available on your Pioneer Express account, then it you can use it for printing.   There are a number of options available for adding funds to your account: Make a Secure Online Deposi... read more

What do I need to do to get a Guest Account?

1135 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Because the Cheng Library has a tradition of offering access to non-University users, Guest Accounts are provided as a courtesy to community users, visiting scholars and University alumni. Guest Accounts are intended only for use of the of the Library’s electronic resources or to gain access to the Internet, and do not include access to or use of the University wifi or access to Library databases... read more

Who is the librarian for my department/class/major?

1054 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Each academic department at William Paterson University has a librarian assigned to help with the research needs of both faculty and students.  This may be done by purchasing relevant materials, teaching library instruction classes, or offering one-on-one assistance (among other things). To contact the liaison librarian for your department, major or class, use the Library Liaison Directory.  ... read more

How do I book/reserve a study room for my group?

1022 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019    Lending

The library has a number of group study rooms, some of which can be reserved for group study. Go to our Room Booking site ( to see room availability and make a reservation. Please note that reservations are only available to current WPU students, and require a university email address. For assistance with reservations, please contact Lending Services (973-720-3180).  ... read more

Does the library offer tutoring?

1004 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

No, but tutoring is often available in the Library!  This is not a service that the library provides, although there are a number of departments and services across campus that can help! Science Enrichment Center Academic Success Center ​Some colleges and departments (Business, Computer Science, Nursing, etc.) will also offer subject specific tutoring throughout the year, so it's a good idea to ... read more

Does the library have a copy of my course textbook?

1004 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Generally, the Library does not purchase textbooks, although some faculty provide copies of their textbooks for Course Reserve in the Library. Not sure if we have your book?  Search for your textbook under the Books & Media tab or contact the Reference Desk for assistance (973-720-2116 or  You can also check our Print Reserves or Electronic Reserves listings to see if your cla... read more

Can alumni borrow books from the library?

999 views   |   Last updated on Jul 21, 2014   

The Cheng Library welcomes WPUNJ alumni to visit the library and make use of our main and reference collections, which can be freely used within the library.Alumni who present a valid WPUNJ Alumni Card (call 973-720-2175 or email for more information) may borrow up to 30 items for 28 days (books). See Lending Services for more information.If you have additional questions about bor... read more

What programs are available on library computers in the lab?

974 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Software available in the University's computer labs may vary.  Please visit the Public Computer Labs page ( for a list of labs, hours, and available software.... read more

What does peer reviewed mean?

946 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

When you're asked to find peer reviewed sources, what you're essentially looking for are books and articles that have been reviewed by experts for quality and accuracy. For example: An article is written by one of your Biology professors and sent to a reputable journal.  Before being published, though, it needs to be looked over to make sure that everything is in order. So, the journal editor se... read more

Does the library have old yearbooks?

938 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Yes!  Copies of old WPU yearbooks are available online through the WPSphere (our Digital Repository).... read more

Does the library have a Lost & Found?

909 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Yes.  The library's Lost & Found is located at the Lending Services desk, just as you enter the building.  We make every effort to contact the owners of found items if identifiable information is available (name, email, etc.), especially USB Drives. Please contact Lending Services (973-720-3180) with questions or inquiries about lost items. ... read more

Who are the "Friends of the Cheng Library"?

908 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

The Friends of the Cheng Library is a diverse group of individuals who advocate for the David and Lorraine Cheng Library as a center of intellectual life on campus and reach out to the academic and civic communities through a series of events and lectures. The Friends organization also supports the Library through the donation of materials and funds, and has helped to create the Library's Friends'... read more

Where are the Quiet Study Areas in the Library?

901 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

While the entire second floor of the Library is designated a Quiet Zone, some areas are less quiet than others.   The study areas in the front of the building are supposed to be Very Quiet, while light conversation is allowed in the rest of the upstairs (whispers, etc.).  In addition, Group Study Rooms, contrary to popular belief, are not soundproofed, and sometimes conversations from these space... read more

Can I donate books or other materials to the Library?

899 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

The Cheng Library is pleased to accept gifts of appropriate materials* or funds for the purchase of materials, recognizing that gifts may provide valuable additions to the library collection.  Donated material should support the objectives of the Library and the mission of the University, with the understanding that there are no conditions attached to their disposition.  Potential donors should ... read more

What does it mean when the online catalog says a book is Available, but it's not on the shelf?

884 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

There are a number of possible explanations to this question.  The book may be: mishelved, in use by another student, within the library, shelved in a different part of the Library (Be sure to double-check the Location), on a cart, ready to be reshelved, or, unfortunately, lost or stolen. In any case, your best option is to ask for assistance at the Reference or Lending Services desks. We can of... read more

Who do I talk to if it's too hot/cold in the Library?

876 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

While it is not always possible to make quick changes to the Library temperatures, it is important that you let us know if there is a problem.  Issues with the building being too hot or too cold may be more common in the Fall or Spring, when outside temperatures are changing.   With a building this big it can sometimes be difficult to keep all areas at a moderate temperature.  Adjusting the heat ... read more

How do I find an article when all I have is the citation?

863 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Finding an article when all you have is a citation is quite different from searching for articles in a database. This short video will answer many of your questions, or instructions are available below. Keep your citation handy throughout the process, because it will give you the clues you need to find the correct article. Search the Journals A-Z List for the title of the journal/magazine from... read more

Where can I find a scholarly, peer reviewed article?

849 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

The best place to start searching for scholarly, peer reviewed articles is in one of the Library's many article databases. Start on the library homepage and select the Databases tab.  Then use the dropdown menu to select the subject area that you're researching. Browse through the list of databases and choose one that meets your needs.  Most databases will allow you to limit your search to just ... read more

How do I learn to use the library?

519 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

The library offers a number of ways that you can learn to use our many resources and services. Many students learn about the library through a library instruction session requested by one of their professors.  These sessions are focused on preparing you for specific assignments that your professor has given.  You may be brought to the Library on multiple occasions during your time at WPU to learn ... read more

Is there a scanner in the Library that I can use?

493 views   |   Last updated on Apr 08, 2019   

Yes!  Both of the Library's copiers are able to scan printed material into a digital format.  A flash drive is required, and one may be available to borrow from Lending Services or the Reference Desk, if you don't have one with you. There is also a dedicated Scannex machine on the counter by the Reserves Desk.  It's pretty easy to use and you can scan to a flash drive, your Google Drive or SkyDri... read more

back to top